Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Ghana 2012 Update #2


Sunday, January 8th

Gerti, 14 of the 16 children, and I left for church at 7:30 this morning. The children all went to Sunday School and Gerti and I went to and English speaking worship service at a Presbyterian Church. Gerti had the children load into the car according to an assigned seating arrangement which avoids the fighting over seats.

The children wore new clothes and shoes that had been donated for Christmas. They looked splendid. [see photo]

The children said they enjoyed Sunday School and sang a new song for us on the way home.

We spent the afternoon at a ‘children’s party’ that was 3 hours of adult stuff followed by a fun meal and a few spectator games. Gerti had to go back to the home so I became the spokes person for the Kids Shelter. All other spokes persons were long winded, but I took no more than one minute, partly because I did not know the life history of the KS, but mostly because I wanted them to get to something the kids would enjoy. When Gerti returned and saw what was happening, she talked with a few organizers and they all agreed that next year there needed to be some changes.

Monday, January 9th

The two little boys who were so troublesome a few days ago are now my best friends. They seek my attention with hugs instead of hits and kicks. They really are loveable, cute boys.

One of the older boys was given what we would call a coping saw for his birthday. Gerti and I will purchase some thin plywood and supervise his sawing of some material that will end up as a toothbrush holder, with places for each child. At least that is what we hope will be the outcome.

Romana (of Beacon House) asked if I would be willing to do some carpentry work so I brought along a cordless impact driver. Upon arrival at the Kids Shelter, I immediately knew that my tool would be of service there also. While Dinah and I were shopping a few days ago, we looked for appropriate wood screws of varying lengths. Not available. I had to make do with what they had and the screws are not of good quality. I must be very careful not to snap them in two.

This afternoon I came on a brief shopping excursion with Doris, the cook. While out, we purchased 10 playground balls (40 Ghc) so the children will not fight over the few that are available. Children squabbling over toys just wears me out.

This morning Dinah called to say she was worried about me spending the night at Julianna’s. There are many mosquitoes and the sanitation is not what would be best for me. We worked out a plan for Julianna to come to where I will be staying in Bolgatanga. We can work up a business plan then go shopping for the stuff. All of the needed things must be purchased in Bolga anyway. I will still go to her village either that day or the next to visit some of the people.

Thanks for all the prayers and good wishes.

I am again in an Internet café hoping to send.

Love to all, Grandma Judy Griffin

No comments:

Post a Comment