Sunday, January 22, 2012

Ghana 2012 Update #

Sunday January 22

My goodness … it has been a whole week since the last message. Time is running so fast here and there is so much to do. The 13 year old miss ‘M’ is counting down the days until I leave; she is very sad. I can only say that I will miss her and hope to come back next year.

Gerdy and I have been to town each day this past week, researching and shopping for the projects we are doing. Mosquito nets that fit her bunk beds are difficult to find, but we have tried two. Hopefully she will decide on one of them so we can buy some more before I leave.

Keeping the three little boys clean and out of mischief before going to preschool has become a priority for me. I asked permission to take them into the little TV room with a basket of toys. This has worked well and I have asked a cabinet maker to build a cabinet to facilitate this.

I said in an earlier message that food here is not an issue and certainly the food is good and the diet balanced. This month Gerdy received less in donations and from her foundation funding, so I purchased fish and fruit to help with meals.

Yesterday the older children helped me put together a toothbrush holder. The cabinet maker cut the pieces for us according to the design Gerdy and I gave them. They did well (as the Ghanaians like to say). The children were a great help holding the pieces while drilled and drove the screws. There were to small pieces of wood left over so they each had a turn at using my impact drive. They were thrilled.

The painting is finished and the walls not only are preserved against the weather, they look great. The painter put on several coats of a sealer/preservative that will hopefully keep the walls from crumbling away.

Today, Eny and I will take a bus to Kumasi to experience a cultural event. More on this next message.

My schedule for next week is:

Tuesday 24th – bus to Bolgatanga (at least 12 hours) lots of prayers please

Wednesday 25th – go to Vea village to visit Lydia’s grandmother

Thursday 26th – work with Julianna on a business plan and shop for her needed items

Friday 27th – take Julianna to her village (Pualuga), unload her things, & visit with folks

Saturday 28th – go with nurse Bertilda to Namolgo village to visit our three boys

Sunday 29th – hopefully bus to Kumasi for a visit with Bright's family (yet to be arranged)

I will give a financial accounting with the next message. Must go now.

No photos this time as the connection is not good.

Peace and joy,

Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment