Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Ghana 2012 Update #6

I don’t usually write in reverse chronological order, but this time I will do so.

Today, Tuesday, January 31st In Kumasi with the Adjei family [Second son Bright is a member of my church in Sequim.] I began this message with the ‘yesterday’ below, so if some of the characters are unknown to you, look below.

I am feeling a whole lot better today than yesterday morning.

Henry and I went to a travel agent friend to arrange for travel to the US in June. The man, a very influential business man, spent at least an hour with us to review all the documents Henry had prepared for the US visa process. I was most pleased with his thoroughness. He has gone through the same process several times to the US and the UK. When we were finished, I asked about one of the large photos he had in his office. It was of him being presented with a commendation by the King. Was I impressed …. Yes!

Back at the house Felicia asked if I would like to have a meal of banku and okra soup. I politely said yes, although the same meal in Beacon House would have been refused by me. Rachel hang onto your hat! It was not only good, but I ate it with my fingers! I was a bit startled at finding a small crab in my fingers, which I promptly handed to Cousin Junior, but after watching him eat that one, I ate the second one I found … not bad at all.

Yesterday, Monday, January 30th

I woke with a slight fever and what felt like bronchitis. Henry (Bright’s dad) and I drove to his mother-in-law’s place, then he went to the bank to pay the fee to get a visitor visa to come to the US in June for Bright’s granduation. Adoma (mother-in-law) walked me down the street to where a house had burned to the ground last night. The fire was set by a discontent divorced husband; he killed his wife, her mother, and their two children. Unfortunately not so unusual in America. What was unusual, though, was the people gathered around to sight-see walking through the burned out remains of the house. There are no smoke alarms here otherwise these people might still be alive.

After our little walk, I looked so tired, Adoma suggested I lay down on her couch. I slept at least 2 hours and woke up feeling some better. Adoma prepared fried plantain for lunch which was delicious.

Henry and I woke Bright up at the terribly early hour of 5:30am Sequim time to continue the online application for his parents and grandmother’s visas to come over in June. We managed to get interview time slots for Thursday morning February 9th so I can go to the US Embassy with them. Our government turns down most visa requests and we are hoping that my presence to vouch for them will help. They might not let me in to the interview, so I will write a letter as did Judy and Dave C.

The fun part of this time on the computer was for Bright and his parents to see each other in full color and action though the use of Skype. Bright has been gone for almost 9 years while working on his education; he will receive his PhD in June. Judy Cronquist was in the Skype video stream with Bright, so it was a great reunion for all.

Felicia (Bright’s mother) prepared the guinea fowl I had been given (but that story must wait until Wednesday of last week). Felicia is a splendid cook. I promised Bright that when his family ate with their hands, I would too. I did.

Sunday, January 29th

Gufaro (taxi driver) got me to the bus ‘station’ at 4am. I again had to take Metro Mass, but again purchased two seats. This time I measured the seats. They are no more than 14 inches. No wonder people can’t fit. It was 9 hours of hot, dry, dusty, uncomfortable travel, but I arrived safely … no armed robbers … and Dennis (Bright’s brother) was waiting for me.

People on the bus are very protective and helpful to foreigners. They were quite willing to help me find the right place to ‘alight’ from the bus. Dennis had told me to call when coming near to the meeting place. I did so saying that the word was just ten minutes to the destination. About 20-30 minutes later, still on the bus, Dennis called. I told him it was a ‘long ten minutes’. Those who heard this remark burst out laughing and repeated it until everyone on the bus knew what I had said. It only added to their conception of the odd American granny traveling with the local folk.

In the evening, while I rested, Dennis used my computer and Internet modem. Getting online in Ghana is not the easiest thing to do.

Saturday, January 28th

In my previous, short message, I indicated there were some surprises. The plan was to pick up Nurse Bertilda, purchase some food, and drive out to the villages to visit Victor and our three little boys.

Surprise #1: I had been told Victor had not attended school last term due to funds not reaching Bertilda. Wrong … he has been attending school, but the school is still awaiting payment. Therefore the money I was currying was for last term, with an expectation that I would have money for the current term also.

Surprise #2: Victor is no longer living with his grandmother, he is with a family with whom I am quite pleased. Their mud constructed family compound was clean and well maintained (unlike some I have seen).

Surprise #3: Victor was not there and could not be found … actually he was at school playing football (soccer) but we did not know that. So we went on the Namalgo village to visit the three little boys.




Surprise #4: There are 4 little boys now, not three. We already knew that the mother had disappeared and the father had died, leaving the boys with their blind grandmother. What even Bertilda did not know was that 2 weeks ago, the boys’ mother died in Kumasi leaving a 4 year old son by another man. The Ghanaian culture (at least northern Ghana) says that the child belongs not to his birth father, but to the family of the woman’s deceased husband. These children did not even know of the existence of the other and sadly, the 4 year old speaks twi, not the fra fra language of the north.

Bertilda would like for the little boy, Christopher, to be given to another family in Ghana, or sent to an orphanage, or to be offered for adoption. Twelve year old John now has his grandmother plus three younger siblings to care for …. too much.

Driving up in the taxi was a kick and a half. The boys were playing nearby, they saw us coming, and ran after the taxi. Gufaro said they were anxious to see their grandmother. John and Peter (age 9) waited for us to get out of the car, but shy little Joseph (age 7) ran in to his grandmother.

While in the taxi, I showed Bertilda how to work a solar powered radio I had brought for the grandmother. There is a Christian radio station plus at least one other in the area and I wanted her to have something to do while the children were at school. I also told Bertilda that I hoped the radio would bring a smile to the face of this sad looking woman … it did. [photo of the grandmother and the 4 boys with a large bowl of food (oranges, bananas, and yams (huge potato-like objects)]

After visiting with the boys, we drove back to Victor’s new place of residence. [photo-Victor is in stripped shirt] Victor is doing well and is happy to be in school still. His future is uncertain, though, as there is no funding for him after this term.

Upon returning to town, I took Bertilda and Gufaru to lunch. I ate Fufu for the first time. It was good. This is usually eaten with fingers, but I used a spoon.

After lunch, I took a photo of Bertilda and the three (unrelated) orphans she is raising. The oldest of these three is about 13 and has sole responsibility for the younger two from Monday through Friday while Bertilda is in mid-wifery training. No small task.

Thursday-Friday, January 26-27th

I spent much of these two days with Juliana, a former Beacon House house mother. Juliana arrived at the guest house in Bolga mid-morning and we did some planning for her startup business. A donor became interested in her case and offered to match funds with me to help.

Juliana’s thought when talking on the phone a few weeks ago was to sell cell phone units. On Wednesday afternoon, Gufaro and I did some research and found that this would be a hard way to earn a living because there is only a few pennies to earn on each sale.

Guess what? Juliana had already come to that conclusion and was ready to go with her other idea … that of selling grains in the market. This will be more demanding physically, but she is sure she can get the necessary help. This plan takes longer in the planning and preparing, so it will be some time before we have an idea of success rate. The good news, other than Juliana’s will to succeed, is there is a Dutch woman friend of Gerdy’s who specializes in small startup businesses; Bianca spends every other block of 3 months in Ghana to check up on and start new businesses with women. Bianca will add Juliana to her case load. This way, Juliana will soon get some experienced assistance.

Thursday we did Juliana’s shopping, bagged a huge amount of millet for the Pwalugo Village women, ate dinner, and hit the hay. Juliana slept in the staff quarters as she is used to sleeping in the heat … unlike me in my guest quarters with airconditioning. Must mention that before going to shop with Juliana, I handed her the whole amount of 832 Ghc, more money than she had ever seen before, and she divided it into appropriate portions (spending and depositing) and handled it well. The bulk of our time was waiting in line in the bank to open an account. Again she handled it well.

Friday morning we drove to Pwalugo village to deliver Juliana’s purchases to her house, take photos [and discover additional needs for next year], and meet with the women in her church. The women were again grateful for my visit and send many thanks for the folks in America who provided the 55 sacks of millet (10-15 pounds each). This will provide food for a number of days for many people. [photo-Pwalugo (Juliana is standing at the left)]

I almost forgot what I did Friday afternoon … more carpentry … this time for Mama Laadi. The people continue to be amazed that this old American lady is a ‘carpenter’. I assure them I am not really a carpenter, but that in America there are some women carpenters, plumbers, etc. We are so fortunate we can be whatever we can dream and work hard to achieve.

Wednesday, January 25th --Vea Village and shopping

The requisite visit with the village chief was uncharacteristically short … much appreciated.

Lydia’s grandmother is well as are her youngest son, a granddaughter, and great-grandchild who live with her. She appreciated the photo album, necklace set, letter, and huge bag of millet. I purchased two stacks of baskets that will hopefully fit into my quota of check luggage for the return home. The grandmother asked that I send greetings to Lydia and her family.

Upon leaving grandma, she tried to hand me a guinea fowl! With, I’m sure, a shocked look on my face, I turned to Pastor John (my guide and interpreter) and asked “What am I supposed to do with that?” John rescued me by taking the bird off my hands, smoking it, and giving it to Bernard to return to me. [photo: grandmother]

Some might ask who Bernard is. He is the administrative assistant to Romana, the Beacon House orphanage directory in Accra. The two of them were at the guest house when I arrived and left for Accra Saturday morning early. They make several trips to the north to visit folks in need. They interview cases and decide which they will try to help financially and otherwise. The need is so great that if they had a million dollars at their disposal, it would still just scratch the surface. Even so, each life touched is one more potential success story.






Wednesday afternoon Gufaru and I did a bunch of problem solving shopping. Again as with last year, I wanted to purchase cloth bags from the people making them. We found the folks from last year and one new contact. I am pleased with the purchases, but will try to get a couple more styles in Accra.

Tuesday, January 24th – traveled long and hard from Sunyani to Bolga

Monday, January 23rd – Gerdy and I did the last minute running around to complete most of what I wanted to accomplish. The cabinet is still a loose end, but Gerdy will follow through on that.

I promised a financial accounting, so here goes: These monies are mostly donated funds, but where there was short-fall in an area or where some might question the wisdom of my choice, I covered the cost out of my personal funds. Whether donations or personal funds, many people are blessed by our (yours and my) presence in Ghana. I won’t try to list the dates although I have that available. I hope the figures don’t swim around on the email page too badly.

For The Kids’ Shelter

Ghc US $ Item

30 18.75 screws, nails, other hardware

10 6.25 flat of eggs

33 20.63 fruit for us all (kids and staff) for one week

40 25 10 playground balls

2 1.25 paint rags

73 45.63 medications for current cases & for future use by Gerdy (Nurse & director

162 101.38 paint, antifungal, kerosene, brushes, etc.

82 51.25 primer/sealer plus 2 Ghc for taxi to pick it up

30 18.75 2 Bible stories books to be read to the younger children

7 4.38 ream of paper to make posters by hand, to print from computer, etc.

150 93.75 labor of painter Ben and apprentice

145 90.63 fish to cover the next few weeks

36 22.50 2 laundry hampers, 2 laundry baskets to organize the laundry tasks better

3 1.88 1 toy basket to use a prototype for building the cabinet for toys/projects

9.50 5.94 one mosquito net to try on the bunk beds for fit

10 6.25 one more net to try on the bunk beds for fit

10 6.25 paint and brushes for toothbrush holder

3.60 2.75 screws and nails

11 6.88 fruit

27 16.88 9 more toy/project baskets

1201 750.63 deposited into NIB bank account with Gerdy as joint tenant for 3(4) boys

534 333.75 deposited in NIB bank account for Lamisi (more than needed as turns out)

100 62.50 given to Gerdy to deposit into account for Bianca to check on Juliana

25 15.63 contingency deposited into account

40 25 to Gerdy for running me around to do our projects

60 37.50 6 mosquito nets to complete the goal of 8 nets for the lower bunks

250 156.25 to Gerdy to pay for the toy/project cabinet when it is completed

Northern villages

162 101.25 two huge bags of millet: 1=boys, 1=Pwalugo village

16.45 10.29 55 strong bags and rubber bands to re-bag the millet for P village women

32.80 20.50 pencils, pens, erasers, paper, exercise books, etc. for school children

832 520 small business loan for Juliana

21 13.13 Blood pressure meds for Juliana

25 15.63 apron with zippered pocket, plus small money purse, both for Juliana

75 46.88 two half days of taxi (Thursday and Friday)

400 250 First three months sponsorship money for boys (to Bertilda)

80 50 Additional needed for little Christopher for the first three months

40 25 to Bertilda for gasoline for her many trips out to the little boys

20 12.50 change for the grinding mill for the boys’ millet

70 43.75 all day taxi to Namolgo village on Saturday

60 37.50 huge amount of oranges, yams, and bananas for the boys & Presby clinic

80 50 additional funds needed for Victor over the funds provided

32 20 to family providing room and board for Victor

20 12.50 meds for Vero (recovering from malaria) and little Deborah

Time to untwist my eyes from the computer screen and say hello to the family members who have all returned from work or school (all except Dennis who works in a bank very long hours, with even a half day (six hours) on Saturday.

Love, to all and thanks for the prayers,

Grandma Judy Griffin

No comments:

Post a Comment